6 Promote gender equality and empower women
Where we are?
Overall progress and challenges on Pakistan’s MDGs
Pakistan has adopted 16 targets and 41 indicators against which progress towards achieving the Eight Goals of the MDG’s is measured. Time series data available for 33 of these indicators reveal that Pakistan is on track to achieve the targets on 9 indicators, whereas its progress on 24 indicators is off track.
In the MDG area of promoting gender equality and empowering women (MDG 3), Pakistan has achieved one of the highest ratios of women parliamentarians in the South Asia Region. The proportion of women in the national parliament (National Assembly and Senate) stands at 22.2%.
It can also be noted that on three out of the four indicators related to MDG 3, progress is lagging. These three indicators include the Gender Parity Index (GPI) for youth literacy, secondary and primary education.
UNDP's work in Pakistan
The first-ever woman candidate contesting in general elections from the Federally Administered Tribal Areas
"I decided to serve the people of FATA to the best of my ability," said Badam Zari, National Assembly Candidate from the Federally Administered Tribal Areas.more
"Women always face barriers when working in a society which does not encourage them to accomplish or carry out their roles as equal citizens. To makemore
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Promote gender equality and empower women in Urdu
For the Urdu version, please click on the following link:
Targets for MDG3
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
- Ratios of girls to boys in primary, secondary and tertiary education
- Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector
- Proportion of seats held by women in national parliament