6 Ensure environmental sustainability
Where we are?
Overall progress and challenges on Pakistan’s MDGs
Pakistan has adopted 16 targets and 41 indicators against which progress towards achieving the Eight Goals of the MDG’s is measured. Time series data available for 33 of these indicators reveal that Pakistan is on track to achieve the targets on 9 indicators, whereas its progress on 24 indicators is off track.
Pakistan has either achieved or is on track to achieving the target on a total of nine indicators of the MDG goals.
With regards to MDG 7, Pakistan has achieved the target of access to improved water resources when three sources of improved water are taken into account: tap water, hand pumps and electric motor propelled water. Pakistan has also surpassed its target of converting 0.920 million of vehicles on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) with more than 2.8 million vehicles reported to be running on CNG in 2008. Pakistan is on track to meet the target for land protection for the conservation of wildlife as a percentage of total land area, an indicator for MDG 7.
Similarly in the area of ensuring environmental sustainability, MDG 7, while Pakistan has made significant progress in some indicators allowing the achievement of 2015 targets to be likely, there is a lag in equity based indicators of forest cover, sulphur content in high speed diesel, proportion of population with access to sanitation and energy efficiency. Attitudes and a lack of awareness about environmental issues as well as gross violation of government regulations pose serious challenges in overcoming this lag.
UNDP's work in Pakistan
In Partnership with the Ministry of Climate Change and Pakistan Metrological department, Government of Pakistan, the project seeks to develop the human and technical capacity of public institutions & local communities to understand and address immediate glacial lake outburst flood risks in Gilgit & Chitral District. A glacial lake outburst flood is a type of outburst flood that occurs when the dam containing a glacial lake fails. more
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Ensure environmental sustainability in Urdu
For the Urdu version, please click on the following link:
Targets for MDG7
- Integrate the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes; reverse loss of environmental resources
- Reduce biodiversity loss, achieving, by 2010, a significant reduction in the rate of loss
- Proportion of land area covered by forest and proportion of species threatened with extinction
- CO2 emissions, total, per capita and per $1 GDP (PPP)
- Consumption of ozone-depleting substances
- Proportion of fish stocks within safe biological limits
- Proportion of total water resources used
- Proportion of terrestrial and marine areas protected
- Reduce by half the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation
- Proportion of population using an improved drinking water source
- Proportion of population using an improved sanitation facility
- Achieve significant improvement in lives of at least 100 million slum dwellers, by 2020
- Proportion of urban population living in slums