Promoting Sustainable Transport
What is the Project About
This project aims to provide technical assistance to reduce the growth of energy consumption & related greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in the transport sector in Pakistan, while simultaneously improving urban environmental conditions and trade competitiveness. It is helping in improving urban environmental conditions including air quality, urban mobility and city aesthetics as well as enhancing energy security.
What Have We Accomplished So Far
- Inception workshop was organized in the Islamabad Capital Territory for bringing together all the responsible partners and stakeholders on one platform to discuss the way forward for the on-ground implementation of the project activities;
- Coordination with relevant stakeholders for developing synergies;
- Recruitment of project personnel completed in provinces and at the project management unit.
- In future, the project is aiming to establish an operational sustainable urban transport system in the provinces of Punjab and Sindh; Improve fuel efficiency in truck freight transport and increase public awareness and strengthen institutional knowledge on concepts of sustainable transport.
Who Finances it?
Global Environment Facility
Delivery in Previous Year
The project recently started and is currently in mobilization stage.
- Project Start Date:
- January 2013
- Estimated End Date:
- December 2017
- Geographic Coverage:
- Lahore (Punjab province) & Karachi (Sindh province)
- Focus Area:
- Environment & Climate Change
- Goal 7 - Ensure Environmental Sustainability
- Implementation Partners:
- National Energy Conservation Center, Ministry of Water and Power
- Funding Partner:
- Global Environment Facility
- Assistant Country Director:
- Amanullah Khan
- Programme Officer:
- Usman Manzoor