National Goodwill Ambassadors
One is a sportsman par excellence bringing accolades to the country, while the other is groundbreaking pop singer with a fan following crossing all boundaries. Their fields are different but what they share is a deep feeling for the country and the people of Pakistan.
Our Goodwill Ambassadors, Tennis superstarAisam ul Haq Qureshi and popular singer Hadiqa Kiani, have been a constant source of inspiration to the Pakistani community with their dedication and commitment to sustainable development. With their dedicated efforts and advocacy, we were able to extend our outreach to the poeple whose lives were adversely affected by the worst floods in the country’s history in 2010.
These National Goodwill Ambassadors are now delivering key messages of UNDP programs to federal and provincial governments in achieving their development goals, notably the Millennium Development Goals and the objectives to be set internationally beyond 2015. Their work is beneficial for supproting nationally-driven solutions to poverty reduction and improving livelihoods and resilience.
In July 2012, UNDP Pakistan's National Goodwill Ambassador, Hadiqa Kiani visited communities of district Thatta of Sindh Province and interacted with village women, children, elders and other beneficiaries of UNDP support in restoring their socio-economic conditions with enhanced sustainability and disaster-resilience.
Hadiqa was accompanied by the UNDP team led by the Country Director, Toshihiro Tanaka as well as local implementing partner representatives from Health and Nutrition Development Society (HANDS), Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF) Pakistan and Sindh Rural Support Program (SRSP). The localities visited included Makli, Allahdino Khaskheli and Suleman Jutt village. Thatta is among the 29 districts affected by floods in 2010 where UNDP has implemented an Early Recovery programme through financial support from the Government of Japan, EU, USAID, AusAid, Government of Italy, Government of Kuwait and COFRA foundation.
Hadiqa visited the display centre for handicrafts produced by beneficiaries of Makli. The centre was established through HANDS for enhancing the linkages of local village women groups with the main markets of Thatta city. Hadiqa and the UNDP team were also welcomed by the children, members of community and disaster risk management committee of the village Suleman Jutt supported through SRSP.
One of the main objectives of the visit was to highlight the importance of linking Early Recovery interventions with climate change mitigation, adaptation strategy and disaster management at the community level. In this regard, Hadiqa visited the biogas plants established through WWF which provide rural poor families with sustainable access to alternate renewable energy, which is clean and requires no running cost. She also interacted with the staff of Disaster Management Center established by HANDS. This center has provided capacity building support to the communities and strengthened the preparedness and ability to respond to any possible disasters.
Addressing a community gathering, Hadiqa said, “I am pleased to meet all of you. I appreciate UNDP’s efforts in introducing environmental awareness and the ability to respond to any future disasters.” She also underlined the importance of disaster risk reduction and environment. “I am impressed by the efforts of the communities which have shown resilience and cooperation in rebuilding their lives”. Hadiqa previously led the campaign with UNDP to raise awareness about environmental issues.
Our Goodwill Ambassador Hadiqa Kiani Visits Thatta, Sindh
Our Goodwill Ambassador Aisam Ul Haq visits Jati, Sindh Province
- Telenor Pakistan and UNDP jointly pursue development goals in #Pakistan. Building on its efforts to empower Pakistani #youth, Telenor Pakistan and the Royal Norwegian Embassy/Government of Norway have jointly inaugurated the second community center in Dera Ismail Khan. Part of the comprehensive UNDP Youth and Social Cohesion project, the joint inauguration was followed by the signing of a MoU between UNDP and Telenor Pakistan which sets the framework for both partners to cooperatively pursue convergent development goals in Pakistan. Tore Nedrebø Marc-André Franche Norway Embassy Yesterday AT 01:30 AM
- "I am Ibrahim Yar, from Charsadda district in #KhyberPakhtunkhwa province. I'm currently working with UNDP #Pakistan as a national project coordinator for the Early Recovery Preparedness and Response Project. We are trying to improve the living conditions of the displaced people and host communities in the areas of Bannu, FR Bannu, DI Khan & Lakki Marwat. We are expanding delivery of basic services and enhancing livelihoods opportunities in these areas particularly for women. I have worked in the conflict affected areas of KP and FATA since 2008. Numerous conflicts have disturbed the socioeconomic and cultural setup of theses areas thus depriving its citizens of their basic human rights. With limited resources, reaching out to the most deprived and marginalized people and addressing their needs gives me immense satisfaction. I'm able to play a vital role in improving access to these services which makes me extremely proud. I am motivated to consistently work on identifying, prioritizing, and addressing the development problems of the poor and marginalized communities of #Pakistan and to highlight them in all forums across the development sector." United Nations Development Programme - UNDP #FacesofUNDP 23 May AT 06:30 AM
- Job vacancy: UNDP #Pakistan is looking to hire a Finance Associate. See details here: http://jobs.un.org.pk/job-detail.php?jid=YyO::Bx23mOqvKhTiWljpOt9Lvs725rso::Z2KIedz3co 19 May AT 10:00 AM
- ہم انتہائی مسرت کے ساتھ 2015 کے لئے اقوام متحدہ ترقیاتی ادارہ پاکستان کی سالانہ رپورٹ پیش کر رہے ہیں۔ اس رپورٹ میں ان تمام تر کامیابیوں اور مشکلات کے علاوہ اقوام متحدہ سسٹم کے اندر ہمارے وسیع نوعیت کے پارٹنرز اور پاکستان کے ترقیاتی شعبے کے ان کرداروں کو بھی اجاگر کیا گیا ہے جن کی بدولت ان نتائج کا حصول ممکن ہوا. http://www.pk.undp.org/content/pakistan/en/home/library/annual-reports/undp-pakistan-annual-report-20150/ 19 May AT 01:03 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook