Montreal Protocol on Substances that deplete the Ozone Layer is an international treaty designed to protect the ozone layer by phasing out the production and consumption of a number of substances believed to be responsible for ozone depletion. The treaty was opened for signature on September 16, 1987 and entered into force on January 1, 1989.
Pakistan ratified the Vienna Convention, Montreal Protocol in 1992. Commonly used ODSs in Pakistan were chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), Halons, carbon tetrachloride (CTC) and Methyl Bromide. Pakistan has successfully phased out the 1st Generation of ODSs and is now working on phase out of 2nd Generation of ODSs. In this regard 10% reduction target of 2nd generation of ODSs i.e. Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFC) has been achieved by 1st January 2015.
Keeping in view Pakistan’s commitments to the international community, a National Ozone Unit under the project entitled “Institutional Strengthening of Ozone Cell for the Implementation of the Montreal Protocol” with the financial assistance of Multilateral Fund of the Montreal Protocol has been established under the M/o Climate Change since January 1996.
Objectives of the National Ozone Unit :
The objective of the project is to continue strengthening the functioning of the Ozone Cell (National Ozone Unit) within the Ministry of Climate Change as focal point in Pakistan for all matters relating to the phase out of Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS) under the Montreal Protocol. The National Ozone Unit will follow up and implement all related activities such as legislative/regulatory measures, data reporting, mass awareness, implementation of HPMP, promotion of alternatives to CFC-based Metered Dose Inhalers and the accelerated phase out of the Hydro chlorofluorocarbons etc.
This project assists the Government of Pakistan to achieve its long-term goals to implement various ODSs phase out management plan (HPMP). It aims:
- To take necessary measures for the implementation of provisions of Montreal Protocol;
- To assist local industry in the preparation of phase out sub-projects;
- To disseminate information on ODSs free technologies and phase out activities;
- Continue to strengthen the functioning of the Ozone Cell (National Ozone Unit) as the focal point in Pakistan for all matters relating to the phase out of Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS) under the Montreal Protocol.
- Implement import authorization system, development and monitoring of investment projects eligible for grant funding,
- Collect ODS data and report to the Ozone Secretariat and Multilateral Fund Secretariat (MLFS).
- Dissemination of information on ODS free technologies and phasing out activities.
- Oversee and monitor import & usage of ODS.
- Establish and maintain database regarding demand and supply of ODS in the country.
- Formulate and enact policies and legislation for the phasing out of HCFCs in the country.
Download the PROJECT BRIEF